Topics in History
The Morgan Effigy, by Gary E. Theall. The
Vermilion Historical Society is privileged to own one of the outstanding works
of Native American art. Learn how it was found.
How Vermilion Parish Became Part
of Louisiana, by Gary E. Theall. If LaSalle claimed all of the land
drained by the Mississippi as Louisiana, and Vermilion Parish is not drained
by the Mississippi, how did Vermilion Parish become part of Louisiana?
Pere Megret and the Founding of Abbeville,
by Kenneth A. Dupuy. The authoritative account of how Abbeville was
founded, written by Abbeville's premier historian.
The Naming of Abbeville. Was it
named Abbeville, Abbville, or La Chapelle?
Abbeville—The Early Years, by Kenneth A.
Dupuy. Read about the growth and development of Abbeville from a town of
dirt roads and board sidewalks to a city with all of the modern conveniences
The Early Sheriffs of Vermilion Parish,
by Kenneth A. Dupuy. Here is an authoritative list of the early
sheriffs, with verified references.
A Fatal Shooting on the Vermilion River.
This is Ken Dupuy's account of the trial of
Martin Bagley for the murder of
The Masonic Temple. Ken
Dupuy recounts the history of the Abbeville Masonic Temple in downtown
The Coming of the
Railroad, compiled by Gary E. Theall. Read the reports from the
Abbeville Meridional from 1878 to 1892, detailing the long and often frustrating
struggle to bring the railroad to Abbeville.
Railroad Celebration. Enjoy Ken Dupuy's re-creation of the
celebration held upon the completion of the railroad to Abbeville on December
A Ride on the
Train, by Kenneth A. Dupuy. Take an imaginary trip on one of the
first passenger trains to leave Abbeville.
Fourth of July 1889 and 1898, by
Kenneth A. Dupuy. A report of the parade held in Abbeville on a steamy
Fourth of July in 1889, and a vivid description of the celebration on Magdalen
Square on July 4, 1898, including the raising of a 10x20 foot U.S. flag ninety
feet above the square.
Abbeville, Louisiana: As It Was In 1894,
by Kenneth A. Dupuy. A description of the buildings, events, and living
conditions in Abbeville, Louisiana, in the year 1894.
An Abbeville Authoress, by Gary E.
Theall. Was Mrs. Ophelia Cook Jones of Abbeville wrongfully deprived of
credit for authoring the magnificent poem, "What My Lover Said?"
Cannon From the War for Texas
Independence, by Kenneth A. Dupuy. See how a cannon from the San
Jacinto battlefield came to spend some time in Vermilion Parish.
The Fire of 1903, by Kenneth A.
Dupuy. An account of the devastating Concord Street fire of 1903.
The Fenwick Sanitarium (Palms
Hospital), by Beatrice B.
McClellan. The story of the beautiful Palms Hospital, formerly Fenwick
Sanitarium, written by the widow of one of the doctors who owned an interest
for a time. Many of the people of Vermilion Parish were either born
there, treated there, or had relatives who died there. This paper was
written in 1974 for the Abbeville Woman's Club.
Gueydan Liquor Raid, by
Patricia Heard Saltzman. This is the story of a prohibition era liquor
raid in Gueydan, Louisiana, and the part that the sunken vessel I'm Alone
may have played in it. Ironically, the raid supplied the local residents
with liquor for quite some time.
Animals of the Past,
a compilation of articles from the Abbeville Meridional concerning animals in
Read what the newspaper had to say about the dogs, cats, wildcats, raccoons,
alligators, birds, horses, turtles, bears, bats, monkeys, crawfish, opossums,
snakes, squirrels and rats of the past.
Obituaries of the first 100 people
buried in Graceland Cemetery, compiled by Gary E. Theall. Read the
obituaries from the Abbeville Meridional about the lives and accomplishments
of the first 100 people buried in Graceland Cemetery (established 1908).
This work was originally done for the Graceland Cemetery board of directors.
World War II—Eleven Abbeville Heroes. Profiles
of eleven Abbeville veterans killed as a result of enemy action in World War II, and the ceremony
dedicating the eleven live oak trees on Donald Frederick Boulevard to their memories.
of some of the people buried in the Old Masonic Cemetery, by Kenneth A.
Dupuy. Short biographies of the people buried in the Old Masonic
Cemetery in Abbeville, which was operational until about 1906.
as seen from the rooftop of the old Audrey Hotel (now City Hall), in the form
of a slideshow. Roll your mouse cursor over the buildings for more
To join the Vermilion Historical Society, print the
membership application and send it in with your